Saturday, March 23, 2013

mMMm...Hand Meat Pie at home

Apparently this is also called a Pasty Pie, but I prefer the name "Meat Pie."

It involves a crust (I like store bought puff pastry), and a delicious meat filling, which can be whatever you want.


I was in the mood for a beef and potato filling because no store I know of sells shredded duck. Potatoes are a great addition to the meat pie, because the soft starchiness makes the inside of the pie taste fluffier.

Step 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Step 2. Cut veggies. The key is to dice everything finely so that you get nice even bites.


I used onion, shallots, carrots, and potatoes.


Step 3: Add beef and season! We added tomato paste, worchester sauce, paprika, a dash of cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.


Let it all cool!! and make sure that it's not too liquid, or the dough will be soggy. You can dump out the excess liquid or just tilt the pan and let it drain to one side.

In the meantime...
Step 4: Roll out pastry dough


Step 5: Stuff it.


Step 6: Seal it. I sealed it with little egg.


Step 7: Poke holes on top with a fork or knife so that the dough doesn't split open while cooking. If you want, you can brush the top with some egg and sprinkle some chunky flavored salt on top.... whatever you like.


Step 8: Throw it into the oven at 400 degrees and cook for 10-15 minute until browned.


Step 9: Eat!! Don't burn yourself. These come out smokin hot.


Someone told me that he could eat 4, so I made 4, but here we are after 2... completely stuffed!

No comments:

Post a Comment