Saturday, February 15, 2014

Au Pied de Cochon, Montreal, Canada

My favorite part of the restaurant is its logo of a fat chef riding an obviously distraught (and morbidly obese) pig.


Au Pied de Cochon, or pig's foot is known for cooking a pig from snout to tail. I've eaten every part of the pig already and I don't have an stomach that can fit the pictured swine, so I had to pick and choose.


Raspberry mojito to start. It's nothing too spectacular, but these guys must have been some of the busiest bartenders I've ever seen. It was amazing watching them produce drink after drink at crazy speeds.


Bison tongue: 7/10 Finally a tongue that's cooked properly! I don't mind not having the char, but the meat is perfectly tender. The sauce of mustard, gravy, and maple is a little bit heavy. But I've learned by now that the food here is a little heavy, maybe because of the really cold weather.


Foie gras poutine: 8/10 The poutine itself is good but nothing too special. But the foie gras is so so good. It's been so long since I've had proper foie gras because it's not duck-tarian. (duck equivalent of humanitarian, not duck equivalent of vegetarian)

I have to say though that this dish is once again very heavy. I only had a half portion and I was starting to feel full!


Home-made boudin: 7/10 Apparently the portions at this restaurant are all massive, so I got a half portion of the boudin, or blood sausage, as well. This is only the second time that I've actually enjoyed eating blood sausage. My waitress took a crazy risk recommending it even though I mentioned that I haven't liked it in the past.

It's perfectly seasoned, and the texture is nice and smooth. I absolutely cannot eat blood sausage that tastes remotely grainy or has a bitter blood-clot aftertaste. This one has no after taste, and the sweet apples on the side, did help as a palate cleanser.


Sugar pie: 7/10 Since I'm missing out on the sugar shack, I had to get something with maple syrup! So I got the sugar pie for 2 to go.. makes sense right because it was 10pm and I was traveling alone. Anyway, I took a big bite after I got back to the hotel, and it was delicious! It's nice and soft. Only crazy people would eat this... it's like pecan pie without the pecans! But better.


The restaurant wasn't amazing, but it was endearing. It was a fun place to eat lots of a pork and a nice rustic meal. The atmosphere was loud and fun, and how can you not like a restaurant with that logo?

Honestly I liked the raclette I had at a vineyard for lunch better. What is not to love about melting your own cheese and searing your own meat, and then scraping the cheese off the griddle with a piece of bread! That and the 10 glasses of ice wine probably spoiled my palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment