Sunday, November 18, 2012

Seared Steak with Brussels Sprouts

First of all, who knew that it was brussels sprouts (with the "s") and not brussel sprouts because it's from Brussels?!


A few years ago, brussels sprouts started taking NYC by storm. It showed up as a side on every other menu. And why not? It's soft and buttery on the inside, caramelized and crunchy on the outside, and it's healthy because it's green. And I bet the margins are also great for the restaurant.


This sack of sprouts is 2.99 at Whole Foods around Thanksgiving time. It's about 5 servings of sides.


After a quick rinse, the brussels sprouts are pretty much clean. I just sliced off the dirty brown bit at the end, and the dirtier outer leaves fell right off.


I like to cook them quartered so that the flavors get inside all those folds of the leaves.


I sautéed the brussels sprouts in some olive oil and butter. This is the step where I add salt, pepper, and any other seasoning... but usually just salt and pepper would suffice. When I have extra bacon/pancetta/Chinese sausage, I dice up the meat and sauté it in the hot oil before adding the sprouts so that the flavor is distributed evenly.


I did have extra parmesan cheese, so I threw it on top before baking for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.


Earlier this morning... I took out the left over slab of meat from yesterday. I'm not a great steak cooker, so I sliced this in half so that I have 2 thinner steaks, which would be much easier to manage than this massive slab.


I marinated the steaks with salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic, and olive oil, and wrapped it up and stuck it in the fridge.


A quick sear on each side leaves the steak nice and rare! Just the way I like it! ...and while it was resting...


The brussels sprouts finished cooking!


Someone stuck a potato in the oven. I don't normally eat potatoes with a tablespoon of butter... but it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment