Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Roast Chicken

Since the crab post took precedence, I pushed the roast chicken post to tonight even though I made it yesterday. But it was a big chicken, and I actually had it today too!


I don't know if you have to, but I find that my poultry are always more successful when I brine them. I used a lot of salt. It's not like you're going to be eating much of it anyway. You cover the chicken in salt water and go watch some TV. Apple cider also works. I brined it for only 30 minutes and it made a big difference.

Before putting it in the oven, I covered the chicken in a mixture of mustard, honey, and shallots. I rubbed it all over, wiggled its legs, and smeared the extra rub on the inside. I really like doing a chicken dance with the dead bird. I think it loosens up the meat.


Taste >> presentation, so I baked it breast side down first. To prevent the wings and legs from overcooking, I covered them in foil. I baked this side for 20 minutes at 450.

Then in flipped it over and baked it breast side up for 30-40 minutes on 350... and it's golden and done!

Somewhere in the middle I threw some onions, potatoes, and carrots into the pan to roast in the chicken fat. I almost never stuff my chicken. I still haven't figured out the secret to good stuffing... one year I just made sticky rice with chicken stock and Chinese sausage and shoved it in the turkey after it was cooked while no one was looking.


I rested the chicken on the plate for 10 minutes breast side down again... I want the juice to collect where the bird is often the driest! Okay it's not the prettiest looking thing, but gosh darn it every bite was as moist and flavorful as the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment