Saturday, August 18, 2012

Petite Abeille Lunch

We worked up a real appetite after a couple hours of soccer (and after 2 hours of football for my bf), so the bunch of us headed off to Petite Abeille. It's a chain but feels like a family joint with its white and blue awning and friendly bee logo. The interior is decorated with chalk drawings and framed pages from Tintin. A shelf in the corner has actual books in French.


I got my usual Eggs Florentine, which is with spinach instead of ham. The mashed potatoes looking thing is supposedly stoemp, which had leeks today. Sometimes it also has carrots. it's like the slightly better dressed older sister of mashed potatoes.


The food here is normally great, but I was extremely disappointed in whoever poached the eggs at the Tribeca location this morning, because all of the eggs were overcooked! My friend got one that ran ever so slightly, but I expected more from them. They deprived me of soaking up my runny yolk with bread.

Everything else tasted great, and I was starving, so no harm done. The hollandaise sauce, was as usual, perfect. It was just thick enough to cover the eggs, and if I didn't know how it was made, I would think that I'm eating something very light.


My boyfriend got the Petite Abeille burger. He was kind enough to describe to me why it's one of his favorite burgers. And he's had more different kinds of burgers than most people.

The bread was perfectly toasted so that it had the "burnt" flavor, but was not so hard that it cut the tongue. The burger itself did not make the bread soggy, but when you bite into it, the inside is so juicy that the almost-burning hot juice permeates your bite. The cheese and bacon were just icing on the cake so to speak.

I know why the fries are good. They are very well seasoned, crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside.


My friend asked me for a waffle recommendation, so I told him the banana split waffle. I don't normally like bananas, but it works perfectly with ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate fudge. I've tried some of the other waffles in the past, but they were not even close.


I don't know if some people were on a diet, but they ultimately decided to ignore my advice. I'm sure that the berry waffle was very good compared to not having any waffle at all.


Byebye Tintin! Hope to see you soon. (with better poached eggs please... but I might just get the banana split waffle because I didn't have it this time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment