Saturday, July 21, 2012

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Just saw Jiro Dreams of Sushi today. What an inspirational man. This is not to say that I want to become a sushi chef, and certainly I am more passionate about some other things that won't involve enlisting myself for servitude for 10 years so that I can make the perfect tamago.

I found two things in the movie particularly inspirational. One is the shokunin spirit that Jiro kept talking about throughout the movie - The idea that he was willing to do the same routine day after day and try to make his craft better each day - little by little. The man decided to massage his octopus for 40-50 minutes instead of 30 minutes, and then eagerly watched his customers' expressions to see if they had indeed achieved a more tender texture - and a more enjoyable experience.

The second was the idea that when you go to work, you are supposed to go without ever complaining and dedicate yourself completely to doing the best job possible. Although a great thought, I feel that this would only work in societies where everyone felt the same way. I do not think that it's wrong to wish for something greater than what we were given, but all too many people are spoiled these days, wanting to have everything for very little work.

In the end, all I wanted to do was eat sushi and visit Jiro before he retires. I'm coming to visit, Jiro!

No comments:

Post a Comment